Monday 9 January 2012

Nanos, and the aggravation of them

So I have a little beef about Nanos and the placement of them in trees, logs and such items out in the woods where perfectly normal, regular size caches could be placed.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the cache owners that place them, nor do I criticise their placement, simply that when you visit the cache location, and find yourself looking at a hundred tree branches looking for a cache the size of a quarter or smaller, it gets quite daunting.




I have placed very small caches, micros we call them in somewhat remote areas, but mostly keep them to urban areas where most regular size caches might be accidentally found by everyday people, also known as "muggles"

The problem I have is placing these cache containers in areas where not everybody travels, like in the middle of a forest, off the walking trails on the mountains.

Unfortunately, we are seeing a rise of Nano hides in the wild, and by doing so, the finds are getting harder and harder to accumulate. Now, not everyone participates in Geocaching for the numbers, but when you spend the time and research to plan your excursion, whether it be for the numbers, or simply to explore new territory, it would be nice to be able to say that not only did you have a wonderful outing, but also that you found the cache.

How would you feel if you planned a nice long journey around the walking trails, simply to find yourself unable to find any of the caches along your route because all of them were Nanos in bushes. Granted, you didn't have to plan your route if you knew that they were Nanos from the webpage description, but not all Nanos (or Micros) are listed. Sometimes they are listed as "Unknown"

I enjoy seeing the sights that the cache description brings me to, and knowing that many others will hopefully enjoy that scenic attraction that the cache owner has known about, and willing to share with us. It is indeed a great sense of pride when you can feel the joy of indirectly sharing this beautiful spot with all Geocachers, but being able to log the visit as a find also fills you with a sense of accomplishment.

I mean no disrespect to any Cache Owners who place Nanos in the wild, nor do I mean any disrespect to the caches themselves. I simply need to voice my opinion, and I am sure that I may not be the only one who feels this way.

Thank you to all Cache Owners who do share these great locations with us, and who take the time to do all the research and planning to be able to share with us. May you continue on this marvelous journey we call...

Geocaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment